Is your home foundation or basement leaking? If it is, you need to take immediate measure to fix the home exterior foundation waterproofing system. If you don’t address it immediately, the problem will only worsen over time. Here, we will explain in brief the proper home exterior foundation waterproofing system. After you have done reading our explanation, you will have a better grasp of the home exterior foundation waterproofing system and know what to do when problems arise.
About the System
The home exterior foundation waterproofing system is the system that protects the house from the water leak that comes from the foundation. It is not uncommon to find houses that have damp proofing rather than waterproofing. These houses are more prone to water leaking, compared to houses with waterproofing. We explain why problems arise and the proper waterproofing system below.
- Why Problems Arise?
Alright, why problems arise? What is the cause of water leaking? Water leaking happens due to moisture. There are four ways in which moisture can cause a water leak in the home exterior foundation waterproofing system. These are the ways: water flow, capillary action, vapor diffusion, and air movement. Let’s get to each one.
- Water flow
To which path does water flow? The answer is the one with the least resistance. On some circumstances, including a house’s foundation and basement
- Capillary action
The foundation and basement are made of concrete, which is a hard yet porous material. As such, it is vulnerable to capillary suction. When the concrete is set in water, it absorbs water. This absorption continues until the concrete is completely saturated. At this point, the concrete disperses water vapor and moisture into the house
- Vapor Diffusion
Vapor diffusion is similar to capillary suction but instead of moisture, it is water vapor that gets dispersed. It doesn’t take much for water vapor to penetrate a structure. Even tiny openings will be enough for that. When the water succeed penetrating a structure, the levels of humidity may increase
- Air Movement
When you open a window or a door, the air from the foundation or basement is pulled upward, creating what is known as a stack effect
- The Proper System
Next question is, how do you make a proper home exterior foundation waterproofing system? Here’s a brief explanation of how the proper waterproofing system is made.
- First and foremost, the house will need to be excavated. The house’s footing needs to be exposed so that all of the problems are known and can be dealt with
- Cleaning the foundation’s walls will be the next step. After they are clean, a polymer or spray waterproofing product will be applied on to them
- After the waterproofing product is applied, it will be protected by a dimple board product. This product not only protects the sealed surface but also enable water to flow downward better
- A drainpipe system is usually installed next. The pipe system will be installed in a way that it creates a slope. The purpose is to create continuous drainage
- The pipe system will be covered with a clean rock. The rock protects the pipe system from collapsing the soil
- A geotextile product will be installed on top of the rock. This product helps to filter soil without making any clog
- Lastly, soil backfilling
As you can see, making a proper waterproofing system is no small task. You will need professional help for that. When you have problems like a water leak in your house, you should find a professional immediately to address it. Remember, the problems will only get worse over time so you need to act as soon as possible.
Well, that’s about it. Remember, leaking basement and foundation is not a problem you can ignore. You need to address it immediately. Now that you have a better grasp of the home exterior foundation waterproofing system, you should know what to do.
This quotA Bed Bug Isolated On Whitequot Stock Photo And Royalty Free the gallery form The Proper Home Exterior Foundation Waterproofing System. Hopefully you can find the best inspiration from our gallery here.